Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Doll Clothes

Part of the success that the remade Bratz have been having is their cute clothes. I don't know about you, but I would not be cool giving my daughter crop top T's and fishnet stockings with sky high mini skirts to play with. Not cool, Bratz. Not. Cool.
So I've been crocheting like crazy. It's actually the most time consuming aspect of my makeunders. Because of this, I've been trying to develop some simple machine sewn patterns to supplement my crochet so I don't end up having to make an entire sweater dress for each girl. Here's the result of two weeks of tinkering.
Looks simple, huh? That's the brilliance of it. Let me elaborate: Doll clothes are tiny. Like freaky tiny. Sewing hemlines and hemming sleeves on clothes that small can be maddening, even with proper garment construction techniques. So my pattern needs to be simple. No sleeves to add. No darts. No zippers. No buttonholes, etc. They're just too small to work properly. The other complication is that I'm working with a variety of doll bodies- Bratz, Moxie, Bratzillaz, Monster High, Ever After High, etc. They're all different proportions. So my pattern needs to be one that can easily adapt from one doll to the next. The two dolls you see here have drastically different proportions, but they're both wearing dresses from the same pattern.
I love it! I love it so much I'm going to convert it to a PDF and sell it on Etsy starting this weekend.

Until then, keep saving Bratz! I've noticed that the doll lots that used to be $15-$20 on eBay are going for $40 now. That means something significant is happening, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment